If you're interested in learning more about the practice of Buddhism, there are a number of Buddhist Teachers, San Francisco Bay area who offer classes and meditation that may be of interest to you.
Where to Find Buddhist Teachers, San Francisco Bay Area
Kadampa Buddhist Centers
There are several Kadampa Buddhist Centers located throughout Northern California. The Kadampa Buddhist Temple of San Francisco is located at 3324 17th Street. Each of the centers offers a variety of classes of varying levels. Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, an internationally renowned Buddhism teacher, is the spiritual director of the Kadampa Buddhist Centers in Northern California. He is also the founder of the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT), an Buddhist union consisting of a network of more than 1,100 centers and branches around the world.
- Introductory Meditation Classes - These classes are designed to teach students how to meditate. The classes begin with a guided meditation experience. The instructor provides ideas on how to apply the principles of Buddhism in day-to-day life. Classes also include time for questions and answers, as well as informal discussion.
- In-Depth Buddhist Study Classes - Designed by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, these classes are intended to provide instruction for individuals interested in systematically studying and practicing Buddhism in the modern world. The classes consist of the General Program, the Foundation Program and the Teacher Training Program.
The San Francisco Buddhist Center
The San Francisco Buddhist Center offers a variety of Buddhist meditation classes and courses about Buddhism. The center is located at 37 Bartlett Street in San Francisco's Mission District.
- Meditation Classes - The class schedule includes drop-in meditation classes as well as a structured six-week Buddhist meditation course for individuals who want to learn the right way to establish an effective meditation practice for themselves.
- Buddhist Instruction - The Center also offers a series of classes about Buddhist principles, including an introductory class and a six-week Buddhism course. The center also offers Sangha Night, which is a weekly drop-in course for those interested and involved in the practice of Buddhism.
The San Francisco Zen Center
The San Francisco Zen Center operates a center located in the city of San Francisco, as well as the Green Gulch Farm Center located north of the metropolitan area. The center also includes the Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, which is the first western monastery for Zen training. The center's practice leaders are available to consult with those interested in the practice of Buddhism on a formal or informal basis.
- Classes at the City Center - The San Francisco Zen Center offers six-week study courses at the City Center location. These classes include instruction about the life and writings of Buddha; the psychology, ethics and wisdom of Buddhism; Zen principles; and contemporary Buddhism.
- Study Opportunities at Green Gulch Farm - There are many opportunities to learn about Buddhism at the serene and scenic Green Gulch Farm Center. Teachers include both local and internationally recognized spiritual leaders. The class schedule includes opportunities to participate in introductory and in-depth classes, meditations and retreats.
San Francisco Satsang
Buddhist Teacher Jon Bernie leads weekly guided meditation sessions at the Quaker Meeting house, located between Market and Mission streets in San Francisco. He also offers periodic retreats and intensive courses for those interested in becoming more well-versed in the Zen and Advaita traditions.
- See UrbanDharma.org for a directory listing many other Centers and Buddhist teachers, San Francisco Bay area.
- Visit BayVajra.info for current listings of Buddhist events and classes scheduled throughout the region.
Many Educational Opportunities
There are many opportunities to learn about Buddhism throughout the San Francisco Bay area. Whether you want to learn about how to reduce stress in your day to day life through the practice of mediation, or you're seeking in-depth instruction about the practice of Buddhism, you'll likely be able to find a Buddhist teacher in the area who can provide the type of guidance you seek. .